Poet In Your Classroom - 5 Poetry Lessons For KS2
If you're not able to bring in a professional writer to visit your class, how about the next best thing - a virtual visit from poet Simon Mole?
This fantastic set of five free lesson plans from the National Literacy Trust are ideal for KS2 English and give you access, via his YouTube channel, to Simon's passion for and knowledge of poetry.
The resources can form part of your National Poetry Day celebrations around the 3 October, but can be used to support lessons at any time of year.
Over the course of the lessons, children will pick a subject that's important to them, and write, edit and perform their own poem on the subject, working on their skills of vocabulary, writing and inference as they do.
Each lesson has one or two main learning objectives and is supported by all the resources required to deliver the activities – which makes it easy to fit into your planning.
There are taster activities, warmers, main activities, plenaries, games and more. Plus, worksheets, YouTube links, recommended poetry for inspiration and all you need to get children learning.
The lessons start with examining ideas about truth and end on performing their own poem.
Lesson 1 – Writing a Truth Poem for National Poetry Day
- Pupils will be able to express initial ideas for a poem
- Pupils will generate sensory and descriptive detail to add depth and emotion
Lesson 2 – Developing your poem
- Pupils will use vocabulary for effect
- Pupils will understand the impact of structure in a poem
Lesson 3 – Editing and authorial intention
- Pupils will consider their intentions in their poems
- Pupils will edit their poems to achieve their intentions
- A movie tagline game sheet is included
Lesson 4 – SkillsDescriptive detail
- Pupils will develop descriptive writing skills
- Pupils will be able to create detailed noun phrases
Sounds that make meaning
- Pupils will develop their vocabulary using synonyms
- Pupils will explore the ways that sound can affect meaning
Using rhyme effectively
- Pupils will use rhyme for effect
- Pupils will create an effective rhyming last line for their poems
Lesson 5 – Performing
- Pupils will use tone, intonation, action and volume for meaning