This home learning pack is designed for children in Years 3-6 (ages 8-11) to complete, with some adult support where possible.
It contains fun, engaging opportunities to develop and practise reading and writing skills that can be completed within a child’s home environment, based around the topic of ‘Garden Visitors’, with reading extracts from The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett. The activities can also be used as part of a homeschool curriculum.
Activity sheets are provided – but if you do not have access to a printer, all activities could be completed using any paper or writing books that you have at home.
This primary resource includes:
- Reading practice Year 3 / 4 – The robin who showed the way
- Reading practice Year 5 / 6 – The first visit
- Writing Task – The Secret Garden
- Secret Garden themed writing paper
- Garden Flowers Identification Chart
- Life cycles of flowering plants and animals
- Design a garden
- Wildlife journal
National Curriculum Links
- Apply their growing knowledge of root words, prefixes and suffixes, to read aloud and to understand the meaning of new words that they meet;
- Check that a text makes sense to them, answering questions including using inference.
- Create setting (years 3/4);
- Describe settings (years 5/6).
- Explore plant lifecycles
- Explore classification to identify and name a variety of living things (plants)
- Describe the differences in lifecycles of different animals
- Create sketch maps and plans