Enhance your Key Stage 2 classroom displays with this set of 16 colourful PDF posters based around Y4 spelling patterns.
Each poster shows the spelling pattern surrounded by 8 eye-catching images illustrating words that use that pattern.
The 16 spelling patterns included are:
- ‘il-’ prefix
- ‘in-’ prefix
- ‘im-’ prefix
- ‘ir-’ prefix
- ‘sub-’ prefix
- ‘inter-’ prefix
- ‘super-’ prefix
- ‘anti-’ prefix
- ‘auto-’ prefix
- ’-ation’ suffix
- ’-ous’ suffix
- homophones and near homophones
- endings which sound like ‘shun’
- ‘G’ sound spelt ‘GUE’ and ‘K’ sound spelt ‘QUE’
- ‘S’ sound spelt ‘SC’
- possessive apostrophes,
As well as the completed posters, this primary resource pack includes:
- Posters where the example illustrations aren’t labelled, so children can be challenged to identify the missing words
- Posters showing the spelling pattern only, so children can add their own example words and pictures
- Individual elements of the posters, which can be cut out and assembled as part of any larger wall display, and added to by the children.
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils’ spelling of common words should be correct, including common exception words and other words that they have learnt.
Pupils should spell words as accurately as possible using their phonic knowledge and other knowledge of spelling, such as morphology and etymology.
Read further exception words, noting the unusual correspondences between spelling and sound, and where these occur in the word.
Spell further homophones
Spell words that are often misspelt
Use the first two or three letters of a word to check its spelling in a dictionary
Proof-read for spelling and punctuation errors