Emma Raducanu has risen to fame in the sporting world after her spectacular win at the tennis US Open in September 2021. Introduce pupils in year 5 and year 6 to this inspiring teenager by reading a biography about the tennis player, documenting her life and achievements so far, including her first Grand Slam victory.
Pupils will read the biography about the tennis player and will consider what makes her so inspirational. They will then have the opportunity to develop comprehensions skills by answering simple questions about what they have listened to or read. Pupils will then celebrate her success by creating a newspaper article about her win at the US Open.
The resources will:
- teach pupils about an inspirational young person
- Give pupils the opportunity to practise reading and comprehension skills
- Prompt discussion about who people who inspire them
- Give pupils the opportunity to write a newspaper article about a recent event
This pack includes:
- Inspirational People: Emma Raducanu text and comprehension questions, with answer sheet
- Newspaper planning sheet
- Newspaper template
National Curriculum Programme of study links
Pupils should understand what they read by checking the text makes sense to them … exploring the meaning of words in context.
Pupils should understand what they read by retrieving … information from non-fiction.
Pupils should draft and write by selecting appropriate grammar and vocabulary, understanding how such choices can change and enhance meaning.