This resource pack provides a collection of words that are perfect for pupils to apply their phonics knowledge by practising blending words containing the alternative spelling of digraphs. The phonemes /oi/, /ow/ and /oo/(long sound), and their alternative spellings from phase 5, are included in this resource. A higher number of word cards for more common spellings of the phoneme are included.
How to use the resource:
In groups or as a class, pupils can practise blending the words on the cards. The cards could also be read aloud to the class for them to then segment and write.
Pupils could also sort the cards to show the different graphemes used to spell each sound.
- 24 word cards - alternative spelling of /oi/
- 24 word cards - alternative spelling of /ow/
- 48 word cards - alternative spelling of /oo/ (long sound)
What is blending?
Blending is the method used to combine sounds to read words. Rather than saying each sound separately in a word, for example a - n - t, they will begin to link the sounds to read the word.
National Curriculum programme of study links
Year 1 Reading
Pupils should be taught to
- apply phonic knowledge and skills as a route to decode words
- respond speedily with the correct sound to graphemes (letters or groups of letters) for all 40+ phonemes, including, where applicable, alternative sounds for graphemes
- read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught
- read words containing GPCs and -s, -es, -ing, -ed, -er, and -est endings
- read other words with more than one syllable that contain taught GPCs