Do your pupils need to revisit grammar skills regularly?
This Year 2 Grammar Slam resource (Set F) will give pupils the opportunity to revisit key word, sentence, text and punctuation skills from Appendix 2 of the English national curriculum. An opportunity to apply the skills in this Grammar Slam is included in the application task ‘Racing’.
Presented as a PowerPoint, the activities can be displayed for the whole class to complete or discuss.
Content covered from English Appendix 2 in this resource:
Word: To form adjectives using the suffixes –er and -est
Sentence: to use the coordinating conjunction but
Text: to use the present progressive tense
Punctuation: to use commas in a list
Terminology used from year 2: adjective, suffix, tense, comma
How could you use Grammar Slam?
Perfect for starters to English lessons to teach or revisit skills previously taught or display on the board at the beginning of the day during registration, or at any point where there is five minutes to fill, to make productive use of learning time.
This could also be used by pupils in higher year groups to revise key terminology and skills taught in previous years.
National Curriculum program of study links for English:
- Pupils should be taught to develop their understanding of the concepts set out in appendix 2 by: learning how to use both familiar and new punctuation correctly - commas in a list
- Pupils should learn how to use:
- coordination (but)
- the present and past tenses correctly and consistently including the progressive form
- the grammar for year 2 in English appendix 2
- Pupils should be taught to use and understand the grammatical terminology in appendix 2 in discussing their writing