Explore fairy tales with this text types resource pack for year 3 and year 4. Pupils will write read the model text ‘Hansel and Gretel’ and go on to retell the story in their own writing. They will use the model text to identify features of a fairy tale and specific grammar and punctuation skills that they can apply in their own stories.
This resource includes:
- Model text - Hansel and Gretel: a retelling of this famous fairy tale
- Fairy tale writing sheet: this contains success criteria to support pupils when writing and includes examples of prepositions and how the ‘Power of Three’ are used in fairy tales
- Fairy tale image cards - a set of cards that can be used to help orally retell the story and plan their own retelling
- Fairy tale planning sheet: a worksheet to support pupils to plan and structure their writing
- Writing paper: a PDF sheet that pupils could use to present their work
What is a fairy tale?
A fairy tale is a type of traditional tale that usually includes characters that are good and evil, royalty and magic.
National Curriculum English programme of study links:
Pupils should plan their writing by discussing writing that is similar to that which they are planning to write in order to understand and learn from its structure, vocabulary and grammar.
pupils will express time, place and cause using ... prepositions