Celebrate Harry Potter Book Night by imagining you are journalists reporting on a magical story.
This engaging lesson, perfect for Harry Potter Book Night on 4 February 2021, allows children to be part of the world of Harry Potter books by becoming journalists for the day.
In the books, the Daily Prophet is a wizarding newspaper read by wizards and witches. In this lesson children will write a report for their own magical newspaper. It’s helpful if pupils are familiar with the story and characters, so take time to read or listen to the first four chapters of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone before beginning.
Register for the official Harry Potter Book Night event kit for even more ideas here.
This download contains
- Full PDF lesson plan
- Newspaper front page template
National Curriculum links
- Write with a target audience in mind
- Explore different styles of writing
- Plan writing by discussing and recording ideas
- Identify and use the features of a newspaper report