Keep pupils in Year 1 and year 2 engaged with writing right up until Christmas with our appealing Elf Fact File resource pack.
Pupils will read a fact file for one of Santa’s elves, Elliott Sparkles. Using the model text as inspiration, they will then draw and write about their own elves.
The model text includes a variety of grammar and punctuation from the Y2 curriculum including: the use of suffixes ly, ful and less; commas in a list; noun phrases; and the use of conjunctions.
The model text can be used to revisit or teach these key skills. Pupils will also have the opportunity to orally compose and rehearse sentences before writing, developing their understanding of how sentences are structured.
This resource pack should be completed over several sessions and could be used as a writing unit to be used within English lessons.
This resource pack includes:
- Elf fact file: Elliott Sparkles – a model text to inspire writing
- Vocabulary cards – useful words for display
- Elf fact file planning sheets – two versions are available
- Elf image cards – pupils can use these images as prompts when writing about elves
- PowerPoint presentation – to guide teachers and pupils through the tasks
- Writing template – a blank version following the same format of the model text for pupils to write their own fact files
- Themed writing paper – attractive sheets of lined paper for pupils to use for writing
- Teacher’s notes – guidance on how to use the resource is given, divided into a series of five lessons. Additional activities are also suggested.
National Curriculum English programme of study links
- Pupils will write sentences by saying out loud what they are going to write about
- Pupils will write sentences by composing them orally before writing
- Pupils will learn how words combine to make sentences
- Pupils will write for different purposes
- Pupils will consider what they are going to write about by planning or saying out loud what they are going to write about