This ‘Make a Match’ game is a fun way for pupils in Y5 to sort adverbials, matching those that show time, place, number/frequency or manner.
The game can be played as a class or in small groups and is perfect for adult led interventions to revisit key knowledge and skills.
This resource pack includes:
- Make a Match cards: 42 Adverbial Cards
- 4 Heading cards (adverbial of time, adverbial of place, adverbial of number or frequency, adverbial of manner)
- Adverbials word mat
What is an adverbial?
Adverbials are used like adverbs. They are words or phrases that add more information to a verb, and explain how, when or where something happened.
- Later, we ate our lunch with our friends.
- Just then, we heard a noise.
- I like to walk through the forest occasionally.
- It’ll be my birthday in September.
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils should be taught to link ideas across paragraphs using adverbials of time (for example later), place (for example nearby) and number (for example secondly).