This resource pack provides a collection of words that are perfect for pupils to apply their phonics knowledge by practising blending words containing the alternative spelling of digraphs. The graphemes oe (toe), au (Paul), ey (key), ew (new/blew), y (ee) from phase 5 are included in this resource.
How to use the resource:
In groups or as a class, pupils can practise blending the words on the cards. The cards could also be read aloud to the class for them to then segment and write.
- 48 word cards
- 48 word cards with sound buttons
What is blending?
Blending is the method used to combine sounds to read words. Rather than saying each sound separately in a word, for example a - n - t, they will begin to link the sounds to read the word.
National Curriculum programme of study links
Year 1 Reading
Pupils should be taught to
- apply phonic knowledge and skills as a route to decode words
- respond speedily with the correct sound to graphemes (letters or groups of letters) for all 40+ phonemes, including, where applicable, alternative sounds for graphemes
- read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught
- read words containing GPCs and -s, -es, -ing, -ed, -er, and -est endings
- read other words with more than one syllable that contain taught GPCs