This resource pack provides a collection of words that are perfect for pupils to apply their phonics knowledge by practising blending words containing the alternative spelling of digraphs. The split digraphs a-e (made), e-e, (Pete), i-e (like), o-e (bone), u-e (flute / huge)) from phase 5 are included in this resource.
How to use the resource:
In groups or as a class, pupils can practise blending the words on the cards. The cards could also be read aloud to the class for them to then segment and write.
- 48 word cards
- 48 word cards with sound buttons
What is blending?
Blending is the method used to combine sounds to read words. Rather than saying each sound separately in a word, for example a - n - t, they will begin to link the sounds to read the word.
National Curriculum programme of study links
Year 1 Reading
- Pupils should be taught to
- apply phonic knowledge and skills as a route to decode words
- respond speedily with the correct sound to graphemes (letters or groups of letters) for all 40+ phonemes, including, where applicable, alternative sounds for graphemes
- read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught
- read words containing GPCs and -s, -es, -ing, -ed, -er, and -est endings
- read other words with more than one syllable that contain taught GPCs