This vocabulary, grammar and punctuation pack will help teachers to develop and assess Y1 pupils’ understanding of the VGP terminology in Appendix 2 of the English Primary Curriculum.
The resources could be completed during whole class work or are perfect for small group adult led tasks that could be used as an intervention (including catch up) to work on particular VGP skills.
Pupils will have the opportunity to apply their knowledge in short tasks that could be used to assess their understanding and application of key writing skills. The resource could be used throughout year 1 to revisit and assess skills, at the end of the year, or at the beginning of year 2 to revisit skills previously learnt and identify gaps in pupils’ knowledge.
This Year 1 resource includes:
- VGP match cards
Match terminology from Appendix 2 to examples.
- Can you spot ...? activities
A collection of short tasks, designed to give pupils the opportunity to identify examples VGP taught throughout Year 1.
- Writing skills activities
A variety of images and writing prompts are used to inspire pupils writing and can be used to assess their application of skills taught.
- Year 1 VGP assessment checklist
A class assessment sheet is supplied for teachers to use when assessing pupils help identify gaps in knowledge and plan future lessons.
New terminology for year 1 (from English Appendix 2)
- capital letter
- full stop
- question mark
- exclamation mark
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils should develop their understanding of the concepts set out in English Appendix 2 by:
- leaving spaces between words
- joining words and joining clauses using and
- beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter and full stop, question mark or exclamation mark
- using a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week and the personal pronoun ‘I’
- learning the grammar for year 1 in English Appendix 2
Pupils should use the grammatical terminology in English Appendix 2 in discussing their writing.