This resource pack will create a visual reminder of spelling patterns and rules taught in Year 2, as listed in English Appendix 1: Spelling. Each poster displays examples of words that use the spellings taught, with images, to create a visual display to support learning. Individual cards with the words and related image for each poster are also included to consolidate and revisit learning.
The vocabulary on each poster includes examples of multi-syllable words, where possible.
Two further spelling patterns posters sets are available for spelling patterns and rules taught in Year 2.
What is included in this spelling patterns resource?
- 12 posters
- 76 individual image and word cards
Spelling patterns and rules covered in this poster pack
- ‘le’ making the /l/ sound at the end of words
- ‘el’ making the /l/ sound at the end of words
- ‘al’ making the /l/ sound at the end of words
- words ending in ‘il’
- words with ‘a’ making the /or/ sound before ‘l’ and ‘ll’
- ‘a’ making the /o/ sound after ‘w’ or ‘qu’
- ‘ar’ making the /or/ sound after ‘w’
- contracted words
- possessive apostrophe
- words ending in -tion
- homophones 1
- homophones 2
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Writing - Transcription
Pupils should be taught to spell by:
- segmenting spoken words into phonemes and representing these by graphemes, spelling many correctly
- learning new ways of spelling phonemes for which one or more spellings are already known, and learn some words with each spelling, including a few common homophones
- learning to spell more words with contracted forms
- learning the possessive apostrophe (singular)
- distinguishing between homophones and near-homophones