Do you have enough independent writing to assess your year 6 pupils against the writing Teacher Assessment Framework for the end of Key Stage 2?
Plazoom has created a selection of writing activities, linked to the foundation subjects where possible, to provide opportunities for independent writing. These could be used to assess pupils against the TAF statements for writing, providing vital evidence of the standard that pupils are working which could be used for internal or external moderation.
‘Pupils’ writing, on which teachers base their judgements, must be produced independently by the pupil.’ (Key stage 2 teacher assessment guidance, October 2019). This writing activity provides success criteria to help pupils understand what they have learnt and a stimulus for writing but teachers should ‘avoid modelling or over scaffolding the expected outcome.’ (Key Stage 2 teacher assessment guidance, October 2019)
In this writing task, pupils are asked to write a sports report, recounting the events for a news broadcast. This could be used to enhance a PE lesson, with pupils writing a report about a recent sporting event that they have taken part in or a game within a PE lesson. Pupils will have the opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the sport. Alternatively, pupils could create their sports report about a national sporting event that they are interested in.
The activity can be used to provide an opportunity for cross-curricular writing, and allowing pupils to demonstrate their writing skills independently. watching a range of sports news broadcasts may be beneficial to help pupils understand their structure and tone.
This resource pack includes:
- Personal writing skills checklist
For pupils to write their own writing checklists to encourage independent editing.
- Sports report writing skills checklist
A list of features, without modelled examples, for pupils to use as a checklist for editing writing.
- How to Write a Sports Report poster
A poster for display with the key features of a formal letter.
- Tenses poster
A series of posters to display explaining different tenses.
- Cohesive Devices poster
A poster giving examples of cohesive devices to display in the classroom.
- Sporting events images
A collection of images of a range of sporting events to inspire writing.
- Sports report planning sheet
To support pupils when planning and organising their ideas.
- Themed writing paper
A PDF writing sheet for pupils to use when writing the final draft of their letter.
- Teacher Assessment Sheets
For teachers to use to assess pupils against the year 6 writing TAF statements which could be placed in pupil’s books as a record of evidence seen.
TAF Statements the writing could provide evidence for
- To write for a range of purposes.
- To write effectively for a range of purposes and audience, selecting language that shows good awareness of the reader.
- To use a range of devices to build cohesion (e.g. conjunctions, adverbials, pronouns and synonyms) within and across paragraphs.
- To use verb tenses consistently and correctly throughout their writing.
- To write for a range of purposes and audiences, selecting the appropriate form and drawing independently on what they have read as models for their own writing