Pets are important and valued members of many families. Explore which animals would make the perfect pet and how they would be cared for using the resources in this pack. Pupils can discuss and write about their own pets or one that they would like to look after.
Pupils will draw their perfect pet, adding descriptions, and why they chose that particular animal. They will then discuss what is needed to look after their pet and create a checklist, giving instructions on how the pet should be looked after. Teachers can use the tasks to teach the use of imperative verbs to write command sentences. Further opportunities for writing are also included within the teacher notes.
Resources included in this KS1 writing pack
- Teaching slides
- Animal images
- My perfect pet worksheet
- How to look after a pet writing task
- Themed writing paper
National Curriculum links
Writing - Composition:
- Y1 – To write sentences by: saying out loud what they are going to write about; composing sentences orally before writing
- Y2 – To develop positive attitudes and stamina for writing by: writing for different purpose
Writing - vocabulary, punctuation and grammar:
- Y1 – To learn how words can combine to make sentences (Appendix 2)
- Y2 – To learn how to use sentences with different forms: commands