This resource pack provides a collection of words that are perfect for pupils to apply their phonics knowledge by practise blending words containing the graphemes j, v, w, x, y, z, zz, qu from phase 3, and those previously taught in phase 2, of Letters and Sounds
How to use the resource:
In groups or as a class, pupils can practise blending the words on the cards. The cards could also be read aloud to the class for them to then segment and write.
- 42 word cards
- 42 word cards with sound buttons
What is blending?
Blending is the method used to combine sounds to read words. Rather than saying each sound separately in a word, for example a - n - t, they will begin to link the sounds to read the word.
What is segmenting?
This is when a word is broken down into the sounds within it to help spell a word
Early Learning Goals
ELG: Word Reading
Children at the expected level of development will:
- Say a sound for each letter in the alphabet and at least 10 digraphs;
- Read words consistent with their phonic knowledge by sound-blending;
- Children at the expected level of development will:
- Spell words by identifying sounds in them and representing the sounds with a letter or letters;
National Curriculum programme of study links
- Pupils should be taught to apply phonic knowledge and skills as a route to decode words
- Pupils should be taught to read accurately by blending sounds in unfamiliar words containing GPCs that have been taught