This resource pack will create a visual reminder of spelling patterns and rules taught in Year 2, as listed in English Appendix 1: Spelling. Each poster displays examples of words that use the spellings taught, with images, to create a visual display to support learning. Individual cards with the words and related image for each poster are also included to consolidate and revisit learning.
The vocabulary on each poster includes examples of multi-syllable words, where possible.
Two further spelling patterns posters sets are available for spelling patterns and rules taught in Year 2.
What is included in this spelling patterns resource?
- 12 posters
- 65 individual image and word cards
Spelling patterns and rules covered in this poster pack
- adding suffixes: -ly
- adding suffixes: -ment
- adding suffixes: -ful
- adding suffixes: -less
- adding suffixes: -ness
- adding ‘es’ to words ending in ‘y’
- adding -ed and -ing to words ending in ‘y’
- adding -er and -est to words ending in ‘y’
- adding -ed and -ing to words ending in ‘e’
- adding -er and -est to words ending in ‘e’
- doubling the last consonant when adding -ed and -ing
- doubling the last consonant when adding -er and -est
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Writing - Transcription
Pupils should be taught to spell by:
- segmenting spoken words into phonemes and representing these by graphemes, spelling many correctly
Pupils should be taught to:
- add suffixes to spell longer words, including -ment, -ness, -ful, -less and -ly