This resource pack will create a visual reminder of spelling patterns and rules taught in Years 3 and 4, as listed in English Appendix 1: Spelling. Each poster displays examples of words that use the spellings taught to create a visual display to support learning. Individual cards with the words and related image for each poster are also included to consolidate and revisit learning.
All spelling rules are included in the poster packs for both Year 3 and Year 4, providing opportunities to revisit spelling rules taught. Vocabulary chosen for the Year 4 spelling posters includes words that are longer or more difficult to spell or understand.
Two further Year 4 spelling patterns posters sets are available for spelling patterns and rules taught in lower Key Stage 2.
What is included in this spelling patterns resource?
- 11 posters
- 58 individual image and word cards
Spelling patterns and rules covered in this poster pack
- /i/ spelt ‘y’ within words
- /u/ spelt ‘ou’
- /k/ spelt ‘ch’
- /sh/ sound spelt ‘ch’
- /g/ spelt ‘gue’ at the end of words
- /k/ spelt ‘que’ at the end of words
- /s/ spelt ‘sc’
- /ai/ spelt ‘ei’, ‘eigh’ or ‘ey’
- plural possession
- homophones 1
- homophones 2
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Writing - Transcription
Pupils should be taught to:
- use further prefixes and suffixes and understand how to add them (English Appendix 1)
- spell further homophones
- place the possessive apostrophe accurately in words with regular plurals and in words with irregular plurals