This vocabulary, grammar and punctuation pack will help teachers to develop and assess Y5 pupils’ understanding of the VGP terminology in Appendix 2 of the English Primary Curriculum. The resources could be completed during whole class work or are perfect for small group adult led tasks that could be used as an intervention or as a catch up activity to work on particular VGP skills.
Pupils will have the opportunity to apply their knowledge in short tasks that could be used to assess their understanding and application of key writing skills. The resource could be used throughout year 5 to revisit and assess skills, at the end of the year, or at the beginning of year 6 to revisit skills previously learnt and identify gaps in pupils knowledge.
This year 5 resource includes:
- VGP match cards
Match terminology from Appendix 2 with definitions and examples.
- Can you spot ...? activities
A collection of short tasks, designed to give pupils the opportunity to identify examples VGP taught throughout year 5.
- Writing skills activities
A variety of images and writing prompts are used to inspire pupils writing and can be used to assess their application of skills taught.
- Year 5 VGP assessment checklist
A class assessment sheet is supplied for teachers to use when assessing pupils help identify gaps in knowledge and plan future lessons.
New terminology for year 5 (from English Appendix 2)
- modal verb
- relative pronoun
- relative clause
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils should develop their understanding of the concepts set out in English Appendix 2 by:
- using the perfect form of verbs to mark relationships in time and cause
- using modal verbs or adverbs to indicate degrees of possibility
- using relative clauses beginning with who, which, where, when, whose, that or with an implied (i.e. omitted) relative pronoun
- learning the grammar for years 5 and 6 in English Appendix 2.
Pupils should be taught to indicate grammatical and other features by:
- using commas to clarify meaning or avoid ambiguity in writing
- using brackets, dashes or commas to indicate parenthesis.
Pupils should use and understand the grammatical terminology in English Appendix 2 accurately and appropriately when discussing their writing and reading.