Real Writing Year 3 - Unit 22
Model text: I Have… by Joshua Seigal
Curriculum links: English (Writing for purpose)
This writing unit for Year 3 is built around an original model text by Joshua Seigal; a poem that is structured around the present perfect tense. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will have an opportunity to learn some vocabulary connected with verb tenses. It will culminate in them writing their own poem based on the present perfect tense. This unit addresses objectives within the English curriculum about writing for a real purpose and audience.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully-resourced lessons are included for Year 3 English objectives:
1. Vocabulary: to express time, place or cause using prepositions
Pupils will: sort cards into prepositions and other words. Use the preposition cards to write sentences that include a prepositional phrase.
2. Grammar: to identify tense, including different verb forms
Pupils will: cut up then sort sentences into those which use the simple present, simple past, present progressive, past progressive, present perfect and present perfect progressive tenses. Write their own example sentences using these six tenses, then read their sentences to a partner to see if they can identify the tense.
- use of superlative adjectives
- expanded noun phrases and commas for lists
- including lists of adjectives
Additional year 3 curriculum teaching points
- use of the present perfect tense
- extending sentences with a wider range of conjunctions
- use of conjunctions, adverbials and prepositions
- discussing texts so children can learn from their structure, vocabulary and grammar
Year 3 words: featured vocabulary
Spelling words: caught, famous
Tier 2 words: guitar, hike, strum, surf