Real Writing Year 3 - Unit 20
Journey to the Arctic Circle, by Ross Montgomery
Curriculum links: Geography (Arctic and Antarctic)
This writing unit for Year 3 is built around an original model text by Ross Montgomery - a story describing an expedition to the Arctic Circle, which turns out to be imaginary! The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils have an opportunity to learn vocabulary connected with Arctic exploration and will investigate how the suffix -ly can be used to form adverbs. Pupils will also explore how synonyms for ‘said’ can be used in the reporting clause when writing direct speech. Finally, they will write their own story based on an Arctic exploration theme.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully resourced lesson plans are included for Year 3 English objectives:
1. Vocabulary - To use the suffix -ly to form adverbs
Pupils will: revisit word classes; understand how adverbs modify verbs and that whilst they often end with the suffix -ly, they do not always (nor are all words ending with -ly suffixes); understand the spelling rules for adding the suffix -ly, and exceptions; turn adjectives into adverbs, and use them in sentences.
2. Composition - To use synonyms for said when using direct speech
Pupils will: understand that using synonyms for ‘said’ can make meaning clearer for the reader; improve sentences by using a synonym for said, as well as an adverb; write a section of dialogue, correctly punctuated, using synonyms for ‘said’.
- the use of expanded noun phrases
- commas for lists, including lists of adjectives
Additional year 3 curriculum teaching points
- extending sentences with a wider range of conjunctions
- the use of conjunctions, adverbials and prepositions to express time and cause
- the development of settings, characters and plot
- the use of inverted commas to punctuate direct speech
- the use of paragraphs organised around a theme, scene or period of time
Year 3 words: featured vocabulary
Tier two words: miracle, survival, beset
Tier three words: Arctic Circle, avalanche, base camp, environment, expedition, landscape
Year 3 spellings: appear, disappear, continue, enough, heard, purpose