Real Writing Year 5 - Unit 8
Model text: I am worried about my brother
Curriculum Links: PSHE
This writing unit for Year 5 is built around an original model text by Jon Mayhew; a letter from a Y5 pupil sent to an agony aunt, and her reply. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this 2-week unit, pupils will look at the features of a formal letter, written to an ‘agony aunt’ about a problem. Pupils will then have the opportunity to explore different scenarios showing various problems they may encounter and suggest possible solutions for these. They will then choose one of these to write their own letters and responses in a similar style to the model text.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully-resourced lesson plans are included for Year 5 English objectives,
1. Grammar - To indicate degrees of possibility by using modal verbs
Pupils will: choose modal verb cards and use these to write sentences. Write a letter in role as an agony aunt, suggesting solutions to a problem, using modal verbs. Create a class collection of model verbs that are used to persuade.
2. Composition - To select appropriate… vocabulary, understanding how such choices can change an enhance meaning (exploring synonyms and how this can change the level of formality in writing)
Pupils will: select synonyms that can be used for more formal writing and use these to write sentences. Rewrite the sentences to make them more formal and emotive. Write a formal letter to the head teacher, asking for a longer lunch break, thinking carefully about language choices.
- using paragraphs to organise ideas
- writing in the first person and using present tense
- the use of present perfect tense to link ideas within their writing
Year 5 words: featured vocabulary
Spelling words: embarrass, sincerely, suggest
Tier 2 words: autism, literally, guilty, agony, concern, advice, advise, remedy, deliver, solution