Begin the school year discussing rules and expectations, allowing the pupils to explore and decide on the these together for the classroom that you all share. The activities in this pack could be used in the first few days at the start of a new academic year to discuss rules in the classroom and develop oracy skills.
Pupils can discuss what is important to ensure the classroom runs smoothly using the discussion cards, before giving suggestions for rules that everyone, pupils and adults, will follow. The final set of rules can be decided as a class, with all members contributing to the final decisions made. Opportunities to discuss what pupils can expect when the rules are followed, and what may happen if they are not, are also included.
This Key Stage 2 resources pack includes:
- Teaching slides (editable PPT): Our Class Rules
- KS2 discussion cards: Our classroom
- KS2 worksheet: Our class rules
- Themed writing paper
- Teacher’s notes providing guidance on how to use the resource with additional activities also suggested
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils should know that that in school and in wider society they can expect to be treated with respect by others, and that in turn they should show due respect to others, including those in positions of authority.
Pupils should be taught to:
- listen and respond appropriately to adults and their peers
- articulate and justify answers, arguments and opinions
- consider and evaluate different viewpoints, attending to and building on the contributions of others.