Begin the school year discussing rules and expectations, allowing the pupils to explore and decide on these together for the classroom that you all share. The activities in this pack could be used in the first few days at the start of a new academic year.
Pupils will look at different images of classrooms, thinking about things that they would or would not like to happen in their own classroom. They will then give suggestions for rules that everyone, pupils and adults, will follow. The final set of rules can be decided as a class, with all members contributing to the final decisions made. Opportunities to discuss what pupils can expect when the rules are followed, and what may happen if they are not, are also included.
This Key Stage 1 resource pack includes:
- Teaching slides (editable PPT): Our Class Rules
- KS1 image cards
- KS1 scenario cards
- KS1 worksheet: Our class rules
- Themed writing paper
- Teaching notes providing guidance on how to use the resource with additional activities also suggested
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils should know that that in school and in wider society they can expect to be treated with respect by others, and that in turn they should show due respect to others, including those in positions of authority.
Pupils should be taught to:
- listen and respond appropriately to adults and their peers
- articulate and justify answers, arguments and opinions
- consider and evaluate different viewpoints, attending to and building on the contributions of others.