This home learning pack is designed for children in Years 1 and 2 (ages 5-7) to complete, with some adult support where possible.
It contains fun, engaging opportunities to develop and practise reading and writing skills that can be completed within a child’s home environment, based around the topic of ‘Garden Visitors’ with reading extracts from The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Activity sheets are provided – but if you do not have access to a printer, all activities could be completed using any paper or writing books that you have at home.
This primary resource includes:
- Reading practice: Year 1 – The Robin
- Reading practice: Year 2 – The Robin
- Writing Task – A Visitor to the Garden
- Garden Birds Identification Chart
- Garden Babies matching cards
- Design a garden activity
- Bird Spotting Journal
National Curriculum links
- Apply phonic knowledge and skills to read words
- Read accurately blending sounds in words
- Answer questions about what they have read
- Year 1: Write simple sentences
- Year 2: Write a character description
- Identify and name a variety of common animals – birds
- Notice that animals, including offspring, have offspring that grow into adults
- Devise a simple map and use basic symbols for a key