This ‘Make a Match’ game is a fun way for pupils in Y3 to match words with the correct determiner ‘a’ or ‘an’.
The game can be played as a class or in small groups and is perfect for adult led interventions to revisit key knowledge and skills.
This resource pack includes:
- Make a Match cards: 42 word cards
- 2 Heading cards (‘a’, ‘an’)
What is a determiner?
A determiner is a word which introduces a noun. It goes before the noun and provides further detail.
- Definite article: the
- Indefinite articles: a, an
- Demonstratives: this, that, these, those
- Pronouns and possessive determiners: my, your, his, her, its, our, their
- Quantifiers: enough, a little, much, many, most, some
- Numbers: one, twenty, one hundred
National Curriculum English programmes of study links
Pupils should be taught to use the forms of a or an according to whether the next word begins with a consonant or a vowel (for example, a rock, an open box)