This download includes materials to support a KS2 reading comprehension lesson plan that uses The Balaclava Story by George Layton to teach story structures and plans, while enhancing children’s skill at analysing texts, retrieval and inference.
The pack includes the following:
- 2-page lesson plan document
- Comprehension questions and answers
- ‘My Dilemma Story’ planning grid
- Picture sheets
- Story planning grid
- Story planning grid answers
- ‘Unfamiliar Vocab’ worksheet
- ‘Unfamiliar Vocab’ cards
- ‘Unfamiliar Word’ definition cards
- ‘Unfamiliar words’ answer sheet
- Teacher notes
Teachers will need a copy of The Fib by George Layton – a collection of short stories, of which ‘The Balaclava Story’ is the first.
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Comprehension skills develop through pupils’ experience of high-quality discussion with the teacher, as well as from reading and discussing a range of stories, poems and non-fiction.