This resource pack will create a visual reminder of digraphs, trigraphs, adjacent consonants or spelling rules taught in Year 1, as listed in English Appendix 1: Spelling. Each poster displays examples of words that use the spellings taught, with images, to create a visual display to support learning.
Individual cards with the words and related image for each poster are also included to revisit previous learning. The vocabulary on each poster includes examples of multi-syllable words, where possible.
A separate spelling patterns posters set is available, showing alternative spellings of phonemes taught in Year 1.
What is included in this Year 1 spelling resource?
- 15 posters
- 72 individual image and word cards
- Teacher notes
Spelling patterns from English Appendix 1 included in this poster pack:
- ff, ll, ss, zz, ck,
- nk, tch, ve, ph, wh
- adding -ing and -ed (where no change is needed to the root word)
- adding -er and -est (where no change is needed to the root word)
- prefix un-
- compound words
National Curriculum English programme of study links:
Year 1: Writing - Transcription
Pupils should be taught to:
- spell words containing each of the 40+ phonemes already taught
- use the letters of the alphabet to distinguish between alternative spellings of the same sound
- apply simple spelling rules and guidance, as listed in English Appendix 1