Real Writing Year 5 - Unit 16
Model text: How to care for a rabbit, by Anita Loughrey
Curriculum Links: Science (Habitats)
This writing unit for Year 5 is built around an original model text by Anita Loughrey; a leaflet about how to look after a rabbit. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will research how to care for a different pet and write their own leaflet based on the model text.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully-resourced lesson plans are included for Year 5 English objectives.
1. Vocabulary: To explore the effect of adding the suffix ‘-ate’ to words
Pupils will: complete sentences using a word ending in ‘ate’. Write sentences for given words, showing how the suffix -ate changes the meaning.
2. Grammar: To use adverbs to indicate possibility
Pupils will: order adverbs by possibility and discuss their choices. Write a paragraph describing how someone should look after a pet using adverbs to indicate possibility. Investigate how adverbs are used in examples of persuasive and informative texts.
- using paragraphs to organise ideas
- using pronouns
- using conjunctions to vary sentences
Additional Y5 teaching points
- to use headings to structure the text and guide the reader
- to summarise key points from a text
- to use modal verbs
- using brackets, dashes or commas to indicate parenthesis
Year 5 words: featured vocabulary
Spelling words: recommend, especially
Tier 2 words: considerate, affectionate, consider, appreciate, fortunate, affection, fortune