Real Writing Year 3 - Unit 2
How to Make a Healthy Fruit Salad, by Ross Montgomery
Curriculum links: Design & Technology (cooking and nutrition)
This writing unit for Year 3 is built around an original model text by Ross Montgomery - instructions for making a healthy fruit salad. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will have an opportunity to learn some kitchen-related technical vocabulary as well as some of the writing techniques associated with composing instructional
texts. It will culminate in them writing their own set of informal, child-focused instructions for how to make a fruit salad of their own design.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully-resourced lesson plans are included for Year 3 English objectives:
1. Grammar - Using the suffix ‘-ly’ to turn adjectives into adverbs
Pupils will: revise word classes; understand how adverbs modify verbs and that whilst they often end with the suffix -ly, they do not always (nor are all words ending in -ly adverbs); identify adverbs; turn adjectives into adverbs and use them in sentences.
2. Composition - Composing and rehearsing sentences orally before writing them, especially command sentences
Pupils will: revise sentence types; understand what we mean by ‘bossy verbs’, and that they can be gentle and polite; compose command sentences orally; write down command sentences they have composed orally, and peer-assess them for accuracy.
- identifying the grammatical features of different sentence types
- the correct use of past and present tense
- the use of commas for lists
Additional year 3 curriculum teaching points
- extending sentences with a wider range of conjunctions
- using adverbials and prepositions to express time and cause
- the inclusion of organisational features such as headings and subheadings
Year 3 words: featured vocabulary
Tier two words: carefully, while, after that, finally, chef, seasonal, segments, grateful, tropical
Tier three words: sieve, colander, pesticides, ingredients
Year 6 spellings: experiment, fruit, natural, remember, various