Real Writing Year 3 - Unit 1
Model text: How to build an Iron Age roundhouse, by Loretta Schauer
Curriculum Links: History (Iron Age)
This writing unit for Year 3 is built around an original model text by Loretta Schauer; a set of instructions outlining how to build an Iron Age roundhouse. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will have an opportunity to learn technical vocabulary used in the construction of historical buildings. It will culminate in them writing their own set of instructions for how to make a model roundhouse using craft materials. This unit could be used as part of a topic on the theme of Iron Age Britain and could be linked to Design & Technology.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully-resourced lessons are included for Year 3 English objectives:
1. Vocabulary - identifying word families based on common words
Pupils will: sort word cards into word families; create definitions for made up words based on their roots, and work them into sentences; use the roots they have learned to create their own new words and definitions.
2. Grammar - use of the forms ‘a’ or ‘an’ according to whether the next word begins with a consonant or a vowel
Pupils will: sort word cards into those that would follow ‘a’ and those that would follow ‘an’; select three words and use them in a sentence with the correct determiners; create a quiz for their classmates.
- identifying the grammatical features of different sentence types
- the correct use of past and present tense
- the use of commas for lists
Additional Year 3 teaching points
- extending sentences with a wider range of conjunctions
- the use of conjunctions, adverbials and prepositions to express time and cause
- the inclusion of organisational features such as headings and subheadings
Year 3 words: featured vocabulary
Spelling words: circle, complete, strength, material, build, naturally
Tier 2 words: straw, flexible, circular, conical, heather, hearth
Tier 3 words: thatch, weave, wattle, daub