Real Writing Year 5 - Unit 12
Model text: Savoury recipes
Curriculum Links: (Design & technology)
This writing unit for Year 5 is built around an original model text by Anita Loughrey; two recipes for vegetable samosas - one written for adults and the other for children. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will learn how to write instructions for different audiences, investigating differing levels of formality. They will learn how recipes are structured and have the opportunity to make savoury recipes, writing their own set of instructions for food that they have made.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully-resourced lesson plans are included for Year 5 English objectives:
1. Vocabulary - To select appropriate vocabulary, understanding how such choices change and enhance meaning (levels of formality through the use of appropriate synonyms)
Pupils will: Write formal and informal sentences using synonyms from a card sort activity; look up synonyms in a thesaurus and rank these in order of tone from formal to informal. Write formal instructions on how to make a sandwich.
2. Composition - To link ideas within and across paragraphs using adverbials of time and number
Pupils will: Order instructions on how to make toast and add adverbials of time and number; write a set of instructions on how to plant a seed using adverbials of time.
- expanded noun phrases
- prepositions and fronted adverbials
- brackets, dashes and commas to separate parenthesis
- using organisational and presentational devices to structure the text
Year 5 words: featured vocabulary
Spelling words: temperature, vegetable
Tier 2 words: preparation, delicious, healthy, samosa, scrumptious
Tier 3 words: energy, saturated fat, carbohydrates, fibre, protein