Real Writing Year 3, Unit 5
Roman Army Formations, by Jo Franklin
Curriculum links: History (The Roman Empire)
This writing unit for Year 3 is built around an original model text by Jo Franklin - a non-chronological report about Roman army formations. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will read the report, describing the formations and tactics of the Roman army. They will have an opportunity to learn technical vocabulary related to
the Roman military, and look at word families and organising paragraphs around a topic sentence. It will culminate in them writing their own report about the Roman Army.
Key curriculum skills
Two fully-resourced lesson plans are included for Year 3 English objectives:
1. Vocabulary - Identifying word families based on common words
Pupils will: revisit root words; look at word family trees based on Latin roots; sort words into families; suggest definitions for made-up words using their knowledge of roots, and use them in sentences.
2. Grammar - Organising paragraphs around a topic sentence
Pupils will: revisit paragraphs; understand what is meant by a topic sentence, and how to write one; pick topic sentences out of groups of sentences; arrange sentence cards into paragraphs with topic sentences; write topic sentences for three paragraphs.
- the correct use of past and present tense
- the use of commas for lists
Additional year 3 curriculum teaching points
- extending sentences with a wider range of conjunctions
- the use of conjunctions, adverbials and prepositions to express time, place and cause
- the use of pronouns, conjunctions and adverbs to improve cohesion
- the use of noun phrases to add detail
- the inclusion of organisational features such as headings and subheadings
Year 3 words: featured vocabulary
Tier two words: advantage, crouch, interlock, protective
Tier three words: formation, military, combat, commander, strategy, legion, tactics
Year 3 spellings: century, guard, position, surprise, experienced, continue, famous, though, women