Real Writing Year 1 - Unit 2
Model text: The Gingerbread Man, by Lucy Strange
Curriculum links: Design technology - cooking and nutrition
This writing unit for Year 1 is built around an original model text by Lucy Strange - a retelling of a traditional tale. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will create story maps to help them retell the story as a class, in groups and individually, culminating in them writing their own version of this traditional tale..
Key curriculum skills
Three fully-resourced lessons are included for the following Year 1 English objectives, which can form part of the unit or be taught discretely:
1. Vocabulary: learn new graphemes for reading and spelling - /tch/
Pupils will: practise blending and segmenting words that contain the grapheme tch.
2. Grammar: to combine words to create sentences
Pupils will: learn how to combine words to create simple sentences. They will create sentences using words provided and orally rehearse them to check that they make sense and are complete.
3. Punctuation: to begin to punctuate sentences with exclamation marks
Pupils will: learn how exclamation marks can be used to show delight, surprise, anger or an order. They will learn how to form an exclamation mark and begin to recognise when this could be used at the end of a sentence.
Additional teaching points to teach or revisit:
- saying out loud what they are going to write about
- beginning to punctuate sentences with capital letters and full stops
- leaving spaces between words
- sequencing sentences to form short narratives for pupils who are ready
- reading aloud their own writing
Year 1 words: featured vocabulary
Common exception words: the said he his me once there was one come love
Tier 2 words: sly, cottage, boasted, gobbled, tossed
Tier 3 words: gingerbread, stirred, dough, delicious