Real Writing Year 1 - Unit 7
Model text: Dear Father Christmas…, by Mike Davies
Curriculum links: Christmas
This writing unit for Year 1 is built around an original model text by Mike Davies - a letter from a child to Father Christmas. The example text is available as a PDF in three versions (plain, illustrated and annotated); annotated and non-annotated PowerPoint presentations are also included.
In this two-week unit, pupils will use the planning sheet to organise and compose their own simple letters to Father Christmas using simple conventions of letter writing (greeting and close).
Key curriculum skills
Three fully-resourced lessons are included for the following Year 1 English objectives, which can form part of the unit or be taught discretely:
1. Vocabulary: to use the spelling rule for adding -s or -es to plural nouns
Pupils will: learn how to form plural nouns by adding -s or -es to singular nouns.
2. Punctuation: to use a capital letter for the personal pronoun I
Pupils will: practise forming the letter I before identifying where the capital I is needed for personal pronouns.
3. Punctuation: to begin to punctuate sentences using capital letters and full stops
Pupils will:compose sentences orally and begin to punctuate these using capital letters and full stops.
Additional teaching points to teach or revisit:
- saying out loud what they are going to write about
- composing sentences orally before writing
- beginning to leave spaces between words
- reading aloud their own writing
Year 1 words: featured vocabulary
Common exception words: love I you to ask put are be my some the one once do of she
Tier 2 words: wrap, dear, joy, gift
Tier 3 words: Father Christmas