These 15-page PDF resource includes a number of crosswords to support children to learn Y3 spelling patterns.
In addition, they help to clarify word meanings, enabling children to use these words more confidently in their writing.
Each crossword focuses on a different spelling pattern. Answer sheets are also included.
The spelling patterns covered are:
- dis- prefix
- mis- prefix
- re- prefix
- un- prefix
- -ly suffix
- suffixes beginning with vowel letters
- words with endings sounding like ‘zh’ or ‘ch’
- words with endings like ‘zhun’
- words containing the ‘i’ sound spelt ‘y’
- words containing the ‘u’ sound spelt ‘ou’
- words with the ‘k’ sound spelt ‘ch’
- words with the ‘sh’ sound spelt ‘ch’
- words with the ‘ay’ sound spelt ‘ei’, ‘eigh’ or ‘ey’
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils’ spelling of common words should be correct, including common exception words and other words that they have learnt.
Pupils should spell words as accurately as possible using their phonic knowledge and other knowledge of spelling, such as morphology and etymology.
Read further exception words, noting the unusual correspondences between spelling and sound, and where these occur in the word.
Spell further homophones
Spell words that are often misspelt
Use the first two or three letters of a word to check its spelling in a dictionary
Proof-read for spelling and punctuation errors