This scheme of work for Year 6 has been devised especially for Plazoom by teacher/author/trainer Debra Kidd, and is based on The Arrival, by Shaun Tan. It includes planning and resources to cover up to a half-term of learning.
This resource pack includes:
- Teaching notes
- Role on the wall template
- Origami instruction sheet
- Images of famous statues
- Images of ‘exotic’ food
- PowerPoint teaching slides
Cross-curricular subjects covered:
- Art and Design (observational drawings: line, shading, tone)
- DT (food – ‘exotic’ fruits, where and how they grow and food miles)
- Geography – location knowledge of North America (New York), human geography around migration
- RE – multi-faith societies and religious buildings. The concept of tolerance
- English – inference, vocabulary, reading for information, writing to inform and persuade
- History – migration to the United States in the 20th century; impact of war on migration
This is one of a set of five packs, covering Reception to Year 6 (with the final pack having strong potential for transition activities), each with a different focus, and all offering plenty of opportunities to weave literacy learning across the curriculum in a story-sharing context.