This scheme of work for EYFS/Year 1 has been devised especially for Plazoom by teacher/author/trainer Debra Kidd, and is based on the book Up and Down, by Oliver Jeffers.
It includes planning and resources to cover up to a half-term of learning.
This resource pack includes:
- Teaching notes
- Images of birds in flight
- Categorisation sorting cards
- Stanley’s letter
- Trees through the seasons images
- PowerPoint - teaching slides
Cross-curricular subjects covered:
- Animals including humans
- Classification of animals (birds) and subclassifications (flying and flightless)
- Names of birds and trees they see and notice locally (and penguins)
- Writing simple labels and descriptions
- Weather, seasons, habitats.
- Counting and recording numbers.
- Sketching and designing; building prototypes
- Plants and changes to plants – deciduous and coniferous trees
- Coping with limitations and disappointments and making something positive from them
- Migrating and resident birds
- Location knowledge – migration routes of birds
This is one of a set of five packs, covering Reception to Year 6 (with the final pack having strong potential for transition activities), each with a different focus, and all offering plenty of opportunities to weave literacy learning across the curriculum in a story-sharing context.