This non-fiction comprehension pack is a report on winter sports that are included in the Winter Olympic Games, including bobsleigh, alpine skiing, curling, ice hockey and skating.
The pack includes a model text and comprehension questions to develop pupils’ skills of retrieval, inference and understanding vocabulary and could be used as part of a whole class reading lesson or used with smaller guided groups.
The non-fiction text could also be used as a model for pupils to base similar writing upon.
This primary resource pack includes:
- Model text: The Winter Olympic Games
- Comprehension questions about the text
- Comprehension questions answer sheet
What is reading comprehension?
Reading comprehension is the ability to read and understand a text.
National Curriculum English programme of study links
Pupils should maintain positive attitudes to reading and understanding of what they read by continuing to read and discuss an increasingly wide range of ... non-fiction.
Pupils should understand what they read by:
- checking it makes sense to them, discussing their understanding and exploring the meaning of words in context.
- drawing inferences such as inferring characters feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions and justifying these with evidence.
- retrieve record and present information from non-fiction.